Friday, November 7, 2008

Week 11 - Language

Language is an important part of any culture. It is seen that people who speak the same language have a different bond and can connect to each other easily. So i believe it is a good idea for an organization to have a language or a style of talking which would bring everyone closer. I work as a student assistant in the department and i have seen that the faculty and the chair have amazing bond. They have a very informal way of talking to each other. It is difficult for me to express the way they interact but one can easily tell that they are all friends and everyone from the chair to faculty to the office manager are treated the same way.

2 comments:

PinkLady said...

Language is definitely a big factor in bringing people closer together. In my department, 80% of our group is Chinese. Everyone talks in Chinese and is really close. I'm not Chinese so I often feel a little bit left out. However, myself and one of my colleagues both speak only English and have developed our own informal "language" and way of interacting. As a result we have become really close as well. Now our department has little groups, which is not good for the group as a whole. I envy your situation where everyone is close and treated equally.

cathyblog08 said...

Language does bring people together but not always.
When I visit non-english speaking countries, I do not necessarily automatically bond with other english speaking people. I might with some of them but not all of them. It is interesting for me to wonder why? Part of the answer might be my desire to discover a new part of the world so meeting someone from my country and speaking my language would prevent me from immersing myself in this new world. Another reason might be the fact that it is not because we speak the same language that we would get along anyway.