Saturday, November 1, 2008

week 10 - Question of boundaries

The text books talks about the boundaries on page number 410. It is very interesting how companies today are being so cautious about the health of their employees. But to what extent should they be concerned is the question. I believe that companies taking care of the physical and psychological problems just shows that they are concerned about their employees and in turn they are benefited because when the employee is emotionally balanced he/she will perform better in his/her job. But to talk about companies firing employees for smoking, overweight, risky leisure activities etc, I think this is a personal choice of the employee. I mean if an employee is smoking when is not at work it should not concern the employer. I think if the companies are concerned about all these activities i would consider it as an intrusion in their personal life.

1 comment:

charlemagne said...

I must say that I heartily agree with your critique (but I would extend it to all organizaions, public and private, which concern themselves with personal lives). It is an interesting path which led to this point. I believe it is largely due to a variant of Kantian ethics, or the ethics of care, to conceive of an organization becoming involved in personal lives. A large part of this issue is the idea that employers should provide health care to employees. And if the organizaion is going to be compelled to contribute to the health of the worker, they will likely want to protect that investment. And they would be interested in mitigating financial liability in the form of health problems. Sticky business. Would employees be in a better position if they were responsible for their own health care? Would citizens? I believe that the freedom to do what ever you like should also be coupled with the freedom to care for your self how you like. But then I may be in a minority here.